St. Mary’s Catholic Church
Tipton, Iowa
St. Mary’s Cemetery
 
further information or to purchase cemetery lots, please contact Mike Wehde at 563-889-0502.

Mike Wehde provided a very informative annual report to the Parish Council regarding

St. Mary’s Cemetery. Here are some high points from his report:

    • Mike said that he took over maintaining and overseeing cemetery records about 10 years ago. Mike maintains the records (now on computer) of lots, their sales, and burial locations.

    • Approximately 15 years ago stones were reset and repaired.

    • Prices for lots are $100 for the first two, with a minimum purchase of 2 lots, and then $50 for each additional lot.

    • Persons wishing to purchase lots should contact Mike Wehde.

    • There are currently 1100 lots in the cemetery and 650 of those have been sold or are in use.

    • People are discouraged from planting flowers and small shrubs as these can interfere with proper maintenance .                                                                                       


St. Mary's Cemetery was conveyed by warranty deed on July 15, 1867 from Christopher and Catherine Graham to Rt. Rev. John Hannassy, Catholic Bishop of Dubuque for the sum of $80.00. Calvin and Ellen Moore on March 29, 1963 for the sum of $1.00 sold an individual portion conveyed to Rt. Rev. Ralph L Hayes, Bishop of the Diocese of Davenport. Mr. Moore retained the right to farm this land rent free until needed for burial sites. In 1955, Harry and Mary Hickey donated the outside alter standing in the south east corner of St. Mary's Cemetery was conveyed by warranty deed on July 15, 1867 from Christopher and Catherine Graham to Rt. Rev. John Hannassy, Catholic Bishop of Dubuque for the sum of $80.00. Calvin and Ellen Moore on March 29, 1963 for the sum of $1.00 sold an individual portion conveyed to Rt. Rev. Ralph L Hayes, Bishop of the Diocese of Davenport. Mr. Moore retained the right to farm this land rent free until needed for burial sites. In 1955, Harry and Mary Hickey donated the outside alter standing in the south east corner of the cemetery.
  ---from Stones and Sites of Cedar County, Iowa. Compiled by Earl Howe


Currently, there are four priests and one nun buried in the cemetery. They are Fr. JP Hines, Fr. Ray Pacha, Fr. GA Lillis, Fr. EJ Wilson and Sister Mary Philomena Crock. There has always been much interest in the cemetery and we are blessed to have had bequests for the perpetual care of the cemetery. There have also been other gifts. Linda Miller made a wooden sign identifying the cemetery and after many years of use, it has been replaced by a granite sign in memory of Leonard and Eleanor Dice. The tall trees that surround the cemetery were given by the Ed Kemp family.
  ---from Stones and Sites of Cedar County, Iowa. Compiled by Earl Howe.

 

208 Meridian St, PO Box 309 - Tipton, Iowa 52772      Phone:563-886-2506     Fax: 563-886-326

Here is a resource for funeral planning:

Funeral Prep book for web.pdf


Thank you for this generous gift donated by

Carol Rosenow: